Thursday, November 25, 2010

Being Brave

Well I seem to have had trouble putting finger to keyboard for the last two weeks or so but here I go today. I have so many things that flow through my mind in any one day about many many things. I have a few wonderful friends who get me through times of confusion, or at least times when I find it hard to sort out what it is that I really think about life and issues that catch my attention.
I seem to have had many images put in front of me lately with regard to the likely state of the future and that has made me confront my thoughts about my future. 
A 1000 year old Myrtle Beech in Tarra Bulga National Park
Will it be there in another 1000 years?
Will it be there in another 100 years?

I have spoken to quite a few different people and all have had a slightly different view on the way forward for themselves, but the conclusion that I have come to for me is as follows: I must continue to live my life to the greatest extent as I have always done, which is mindfully. I was brought up by a woman who had endured the great depression and the second World War and all the hardships and restrictions that those two events caused.

That meant that I have never left lights on in lots of rooms or wasted water or anything else really. I can look back on my life and truly feel that I have always been unintentionally, reasonably 'green'. I have used petrol like it will always be there though. It never occurred to me when I was young that governments would allow the actual land that it takes care of to be so abused and damaged. I guess the first inkling of that was the Franklin River issue in the 70's but that has been repeated in many other forms and places ie the clearing of old growth forests and the growing of crops in the dry areas and using ridiculous amounts of water to do so. I was not intending to be green as such but I love the earth and all that it is i.e. trees, animals, water , plants, etc. so I tried to be aware of the seasons and the state of all around me.

In hindsight I see that this was really the start of my belief in a greater power than man! I used to say I didn't believe in God but I believe in Mother Nature and I still feel the same way. No man or woman that I have ever met has the ability to invent anything as beautiful as the Web of Life that we exist within and all it's wonders, like sunsets, mountains, rain forests, hedgehogs or hummingbirds.

The Beautiful Blue Planet.
It has always been easy for me to live in harmony with the elements of Nature but I have often struggled with the complexities of people and how general social behaviour has changed so rapidly. A friend said to me recently 'Life is hard and we have to be brave!' That really struck a chord with me and I thought to myself how right she is!

So I am going to be brave and put this blog out for, hopefully, many more people to read and comment on and I am going to be brave.If people like what I write I hope they say so and if people don't like what I write that is good to hear also, as it is often through adversity that we learn our greatest lessons. So please, if you like what you read pass this in to someone else who you think might like it too!

Thank you all Walnutters.

No comments:

Post a Comment