Monday, October 25, 2010

Using Time Well.

I have a week off work and it has been amazing how much I value this time. I have been busy trying to find the balance between not wasting my precious week and not trying to do so much that I go back to work for a rest. So I did all the boring things yesterday like washing and ironing so that I don't have to think about work until next Sunday. I had a visit from a friend and we sat under the walnut tree and drank a cuppa and chatted. I think that was the start of my holiday! To take the time to appreciate a good friend or perhaps having the free time to do so. Then I decided that I wasn't going to stress about the lawns, plus I am old enough to remember that you weren't allowed to make noise on a Sunday as that was everyone's day of rest! Wonder what happened to that concept? So as I had a few hours before dark, thanks to daylight saving, I headed off to the bush. There I visited my friend and her various animals. The geese and the chooks, her little dog and the peace and quiet of the bush. My day was made perfect by the privilege of seeing a baby echidna.


Very cute and so innocent.
 As I drove home I got to thinking how we seem to be constantly striving for balance in our lives. What happened that we are all rushing around and half the women in the world are feeling guilty about whether they should be working and leaving children in care and they have very little time to actually enjoy themselves. The men likewise are working and expected to work longer and longer hours. They too are constantly striving for some time to themselves when they are not doing something that they 'have' to do. Even the children are being rushed off to sport or some other activity. Whatever happened to daydreaming and just spending time 'mucking about'? 
I think we all need to work on that 'simple life' that is so beautiful and fulfilling and try hard to find the work/life balance within that lifestyle. 
 I know, so much easier said than done, but if I say it often enough and with conviction then maybe we will all get it and the world will be a nicer place for that.
I suspect that if advertising was totally banned in the world we would very quickly become not only more balanced but more sustainable and very likely more humane to not only people but all the other inhabitants of this earth eg animals, birds, insects, trees, rocks, air and everything in between. Think about that. I would be interested to hear if others get what I mean by that statement.
Have a great day and try to find the time to truly see and hear and feel everything in your day.

Mr Gander who didn't bite me!

Crab Apple blossom.


No comments:

Post a Comment